Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Re-defining Normal

I've mentioned before how I've met wonderful people through this blog. Wives of PSCers, patients, pre-transplant, and post-transplant. One friend in particular is Jaime. Her family has been through it all. The list goes on. Lately she was been struggling with 'what is normal'? When people are going through a rough time (including Jaime) their whole perception on what is normal is greatly skewed.

Looking back, I can remember times last year when all I wanted to do was feel sorry for myself. Clearly, it was obvious to others too, because I would get phone calls, visits, and e-mails from people mentioning the "tone" of my blog posts. I'm not an idiot, I always knew that there were people with bigger issues than mine, sicker patients than Geoff, and worse stories, but at the time it didn't matter.

Everyone should be able to have an "I-need-to-be-selfish" moment. In all honesty, I probably had too many.

This is for you Jaime....you're more than entitled to these moments, even if your "moments" last a few days.

Thinking of you in Dallas.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I love you Erin!!! And I love that you get it!!!