Friday, March 6, 2009

The rules are not the same

Okay, some of you have asked if you have to register at http://www.donatelife.net/ AND check yes on your driver's license. The answer is maybe....apparently every state is different.

For example: my California peeps:

As a resident of California, you should take the following steps to ensure your decision to become a donor is carried out:

Check "YES! I want to be an organ and tissue donor" when you apply for or renew your driver license or ID card through the California DMV

OR

Sign up online to be an organ and tissue donor with the Donate Life California Registry at http://www.donatelifecalifornia.org/ or its companion Spanish Web site, http://www.donevidacalifornia.org/.

California does not require family consent to carry out your wishes to be an organ, eye or tissue donor. However, keeping everyone informed will help avoid any confusion or delays.

For my Texas peeps:

As a resident of Texas, you should take the following steps to ensure your decision to become a donor is carried out:

Check "YES! I want to be an organ and tissue donor" when you apply for or renew your drivers license or ID card through the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Sign up online to be an organ and tissue donor at the Glenda Dawson Donate Life - Texas Registry http://www.donatelifetexas.org/.

I wish it was simple, but it seems that every state is different.

7 comments:

Erin Jeannine said...

Wait...why did you separate all the things to donate? I just got a new license, and they only made me check one box and sign one line. I want to donate everything; do I need to do something ELSE to donate my eyes (my best feature, I think, whoever gets those will be lucky) and tissues???? Why do they make this so confusing!?!?!?!

Erin Jeannine said...

Steve is now signed up.

Blonde Momma said...

I didn't separate the things to donate. I copied and pasted just the way they have it on the donatelife.net site. I thought it was interesting how all the states seem to differ in how to register. Some seem to require online and driver's license others seem to require one or the other....I'm confusing myself!

Keeping Up With the Fitz's said...

I registered online, so add my to your 500. Great idea!!

Unknown said...

Over half of the 100,000 Americans on the national transplant waiting list will die before they get a transplant. Most of these deaths are needless. Americans bury or cremate about 20,000 transplantable organs every year. Over 6,000 of our neighbors suffer and die needlessly every year as a result.

There is a simple way to put a big dent in the organ shortage -- give organs first to people who have agreed to donate their own organs when they die.

Giving organs first to organ donors will convince more people to register as organ donors. It will also make the organ allocation system fairer. People who aren't willing to share the gift of life should go to the back of the waiting list as long as there is a shortage of organs.

Anyone who wants to donate their organs to others who have agreed to donate theirs can join LifeSharers. LifeSharers is a non-profit network of organ donors who agree to offer their organs first to other organ donors when they die. Membership is free at www.lifesharers.org or by calling 1-888-ORGAN88. There is no age limit, parents can enroll their minor children, and no one is excluded due to any pre-existing medical condition.

Blonde Momma said...

Dave,

First off, Lifesharers.org is a really awesome organization, so thank-you for sharing that with us.

I can definitely see your point, but I'm having a hard time with "people who aren't willing to share the gift of life should go to the back of the waiting list as long as there is a shortage of organs". Unfortunately, I think many people are just unaware of the organ donation process. I find that so many people "think" their family knows their wishes, but decisions are reversed all the time.

It's definitely an education process. I'm just one person (with a great support group), but I'm really hoping that I can help spread the word about the importance of organ donation.

Lee said...

Your peeps in Massachusetts are all set!