Thursday, October 30, 2008

Decisions

Okay, so Dr. Reyes called yesterday (my cell phone). It was sorta like either getting a call from God or the President of the United States...I've haven't decided yet. Well actually, now that I think about it I would say more like God because if George Bush called me I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a hard time telling him what an idiot he was. Way off track....

So, Dr. Reyes basically asks "what can I do for you and your husband"? I explain the situation and he simply says that getting a second opinion isn't a bad idea and he thinks that they (UW) can help us. That our time would not be wasted coming out there for the initial evaluation. End call. All in all, Geoff and I felt good about the call. At least they weren't trying to stop us, right?

Fast forward to 7:00PM

Dr. Chinna Chinna (not real name, just can't pronounce it or spell it) calls Geoff. Again, very exciting to receive a call from one of these "Gods". He was very sympathic. Told Geoff that it was not a bad idea to try and go get listed at another region BUT to be very selective on where we go (making reference to the fact that he wouldn't just send Geoff to any transplant center). He also wanted us to make sure that the waiting time would really be signifactly less at UW. He gave us a couple of questions to ask the UW team (before we head out there). All very wise information. Geoff made sure to tell Dr. Chinna Chinna how much we are devoted to Baylor, reminded him that they saved his life, how grateful we are, that if possible he would marry Chinna Chinna (not really), etc. Hopefully the point was made that we didn't want Baylor to get the impression that we have given up on them.

We have a lot of decisions to make. Do we head out there? Take the risk? The appt. at UW could take weeks to get. We meet with the team here in Dallas tomorrow-I'm sure it will be discussed a little bit more.

To be continued...

8 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

So much to think about! My question is: do you lose your spot on the waiting list in Texas if you try for UW? Or can you be on the list at both and just see who gets to Geoff first?

Good luck to your sweet family.

Juli Evans said...

Wow, big decisions. I know you guys will make the right one.

Let me know if you need anything. Dinner, watch the kids, whatever...I'd love to help out. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see things moving and they are calling you now. I am praying that things will keep moving at this pace.

Blonde Momma said...

No, we wouldn't lose the spot here in Texas, but it would just be a game of who calls first.

Kayla said...

YAY! Things are finally moving for you. I am keeping you and your family in our prayers.

Haley said...

sounds like things are moving in the right direction, but i sure your heads are spinning with so many things to think about.

Erin Jeannine said...

What's the worst that could happen? You do the initial tests at UW, go to Pike Place Market, maybe check out SAM (Seattle Art Museum), take the ferry to Bainbridge. Fun trip. Can't you change your mind on going there after all that if you want? I say go.

Blonde Momma said...

I'm with you, Erin. Maybe a little Dunkle family vacation? It's not Hawaii, but I'll take it.