Monday, January 26, 2009

Oh boy

After the fiasco at the hospital this weekend, we were determined to get some answers today. Main question being: why was he having a CT scan to begin with?

Well, we got that answer and a whole lot more.

Problem #1

The reason for the CT scan was to follow-up on a nodule they found on Geoff's lung back in Oct. (and no, we did not know about this nodule until today). I'm actually glad they didn't tell us about this because we would have worried about it for the last 3 months. Anyhow, so it's standard protocol to follow-up with a CT scan three months later. But, all of the above is still unanswered.

Problem #2

When they did the ultrasound on Sat. to check on the hepatic thrombosis they found a significantly larger nodule (the size of a grape) on his liver. Freaking great, right?

What does all this mean? Because a nodule was found on the liver Geoff was immediately deactivated from the list until further tests are run. The doctor said it could be nothing or something. I probably don't have to tell you all that cancer is the unknown here.

Next steps:
  • tomorrow Geoff will go in for a blood test to see if his kidneys have improved in order to run the CT scan (lung) and MRI (liver),
  • tomorrow Geoff will have a tumor marker blood test to determine whether he is carrying a cancer marker
  • If kidney levels are back to "normal" he will be scheduled for the CT and MRI probably next week or later this week

On a side note, I'm not exactly sure why we're not feeling anything right now. It could be that NOTHING shocks us anymore or that this too shall pass.

11 comments:

jenleic2008 said...

Oh man, another bump in the road for you guys. I hope he is able to get the CT and MRI scan soon to give you some answers.

Melissa said...

Oh Erin,
My heart is breaking for you right now. Literally. I just got home and checked in an my stomach just sunk. Of course, not because I fear the worst, just because I hate that you are having to go through this. I'm so so, sorry and I just wish there was something I could do. If you ever need someone to talk to, or vent to, or whatever, you know how to find me!!
Thinking of you both, and will be praying that you get some good, positive answers soon!

Third Life said...

I know where you are at with not feeling anything. I was in that same place not too long ago. Never lose hope. Never lose faith. We are praying for you both.

Anonymous said...

Erin, reading this just breaks my heart...I am so sorry... just know that I am praying for you...

Jaime said...

This too shall pass. I can't believe what I am reading. As if you two haven't been through enough. It is so hard to believe that so much can happen to one person. And I totally understand that part. I am praying for you. And if you need anything please feel free to give me a call. I am sure we could both use some time to vent right now.

(((((hugs)))))

Kayla said...

I am so sorry Erin. You are both in my prayers.

Dawn said...

Erin
I don't know what to write. This sounds so scary. My heart is breaking for you, too. The waiting, the wondering. I'm so sorry to hear about this setback.

I also had times where I just felt nothing. I think it is just one more way to deal. It's OK to feel (or, er not feel) that way too. There are so many emotions involved in this roller coaster ride, sometimes you just need a break from them all.

Love,
Dawn

Tracy said...

I am praying for you and The Dunkle family. You and Geoff are very special people who have an amazing amounnt of strength. I hope you know there are many people praying for you and thinking of you.

Gina Staton Logan said...

I found your blog through Melissa & Brian. We are in the same small group as them at our church. Just wanted to let you know I am praying for you & that you get the call soon. Also, loved reading your blog. God's Blessing on your family always. Gina (Safety Harbor, FL)

Unknown said...

Y'all have been on my mind all night and morning.

True to form, Geoff was nothing but smiles this morning and wishing me a good day.

You two take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. You will get through this too!!!

Juli Evans said...

Oh, Erin. I am so sorry. Sending up lots of prayers. Hugs :)