Saturday, January 24, 2009

Such kidney confusion

Geoff was scheduled for a CT scan today. He took the pre-meds and headed to the hospital. He was all ready to go and on the table when the radiologist came in and said " Mr. Dunkle, your creatine is 1.9 so we are not going to perform the test". Apparently they do some sort of a prick test on the finger to test the kidney function right before the procedure. The dye that is used during the surgery can be damaging to the kidneys. A normal creatine level is anywhere between 0.6 -1.1.

Anyone who has followed our story knows that Geoff has always had kidney issues, but 1.9 is even high for Geoff.

So what does all this mean? Nothing right now. They went ahead and did an ultrasound instead of a scan. It isn't as accurate, but at least it's something. The original reason for the scan was to check on Geoff's hepatic thrombosis which is the main reason for the liver transplant.

The doctor said that his creatine could be elevated from the tube check he had two days ago(they inject the same dye). So it's possible that the dye has not worked itself through the body yet.

To be continued......

6 comments:

Erin Jeannine said...

I have an idea for a medical breakthrough: can't they clone Geoff a liver? They clone entire animals, I would think one little organ would be a piece of cake! You should look into it. I think the cloning experts are the Swedes. Super smart, those Swedes. You call 'em up and tell 'em my idea. You can even take the credit for it yourself.

Jaime said...

I understand the frustration with all these different tests and procedures. I wish we weren't in this situation. I really do. I wish we had met under different circumstances. But I am so glad that we did meet!

(((((HUGS)))))

Unknown said...

You should be a doctor with all your fancy words - you lost me at creatine. ;)

Keep us posted.

Blonde Momma said...

Erin, I totally agree. Can't they just clone it?? I would even let them clone mine...I love the Swedes.

Blonde Momma said...

Actually Rhonda, I think I spelled that wrong. I think it's actually creatinine.

DENICE said...

Indeed a great post, Apart from this I am a medical student and I am researching about world’s pioneer doctors. I am gathering information about Dr Susan Lim . As far as I got to know she performed the first successful liver transplant in Asia. She has received many awards & accolades. Around the globe, cases have been directed to her because of her skill set and technical expertise, and her continued research in new technology and developing cures. I will greatly appreciate if you can point to any further resources about her.ide